Monday, December 20, 2010

Skull

I have to simply start out saying that I absolutely love this drawing. I do not know what it is but skulls are one of the things I really enjoy drawing the most. Maybe it's a secretly morbid desire or habit? Regardless I think this piece is one of my most successful pieces. I think that the semi minimalistic look of the few contour lines does not distract from the form of the skull and accent it in a way that makes you almost feel like you're looking at a real skull. This is because the lines are so few and far between that the bumpy texture that they imply is stronger told and the white area that is left blank feels more smooth and rounded, like the top of the skull which is mostly just a smooth white ball anyway.

I don't know if there was anything I could really do better about this skull. I like it as is, I could probably try and stray from using strong outline contours and using more cross contours and implied lines. I think that this picture really displays how I like to draw though, because being more of an illustrator I enjoy using heavy contours and lines to define a form more than using implied lines to define a form. I would love to draw over this picture in a smudge charcoal composition though, just to see how it would turn out, given the chance.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you on how fun it is to draw skulls. It would be fun to go back into the skull drawings and plug in all those wavy ridges where different parts of the skull meet... But still, what you have going on here works well for what we've been doing.

    ReplyDelete