Monday, December 20, 2010

Fourth Shell Drawing





This is the fourth in the series of the shell drawings that we were required to do for our life drawing class. I really enjoy how this one turned out. It's rendered quite well in my opinion. I enjoyed doing this shell drawing as well as because it gave me another chance to experiment with the previously dreaded medium of India ink. This time I used a wet paper canvas and very wet brush so the India ink ran or bled more than my previous shell or spinal drawing. I think this gave a good feeling of shadow, lights and darks as well as depth, by letting the ink flow and spread out into recesses instead of using layers with a dryer paint.

A few things I don't really like about this painting are how much I let the ink flow. I think it's not really the style that I usually like to use. It made me a bit frustrated because I wasn't able to control it nearly as well as other mediums, or by using a dryer brush to complete it with. I don't think the cross contours came out quite as well as they probably should have as well, they could have definitely been rendered a little better and with more care and intention.

I'm excited to present this to class tomorrow, and see what kind of critique I will be getting on it. Overall this is probably one of my most favorite pieces of the entire semester, simply because it let me step out of my bounds and try something entirely new. I really think that this succeeded.

No comments:

Post a Comment